Thursday, October 25, 2007

Day 12 - The Real Koshy

Today was another quiet one as all of my sight-seeing & shopping is over.

This morning Michelle was nice enough to bring in a pork vinadloo for me to try, made especially for me by her mother. It was very very tasty. In fact it was the best vindaloo I've ever had... In Australia the vindaloo is always the token "very hot" dish but this wasn't spicy at all, it had a really nice flavour.

Today for breakfast I had another one of those fantastic grilled veg sandwiches (yeah I had 2 brekkys, mainly because I didnt want to leave India without having another one of these!!) from the Juice Shop. 3 slices of bread, some green chutney, potato, capsicum and tomato & ketchup (they call it ketchup here, in fact ketchup is served with everything take-away here)

After work I planned to go to Koshys for lunch. After reading excellent reviews this high on my to-visit list. I found the place (end of Church St) and browsed the menu. They have a huge selection, probably the biggest selection I've seen which is probably why it is so popular with the foreigners. They do everything from Indian to Chinese to steaks pizzas and burgers. I decided to get a Rogan Josh (my favourite dish) served with vegetable biriyani

It was a little disappointing to be completely honest... so that was a shame. Although the waiter was fantastic. He has been working there for 25 years, he gave me a brief rundown of the history of the place and also a rundown of his daily routine.
The restaurant has been there for 60 years, it was established way back when they were ruled by the British.

The waiter said that he finishes work at 3.30pm (by now it was 3.20pm so I guess he was hinting for me to hurry up although he insisted I try their caramel custard for desert) anyway he finishes at 3.30pm, picks up his kids from school, goes to a course he's studying (have now forgotten what hes studying) and after the course comes back to work for the dinner shift, leaves work at 11.30pm, goes home and watches the soccer.

He was also telling me about his arranged marriage, how his parents matched up his current wife. When I explained that I'm getting married in May he said "oh so you're marrying for love?" and he seemed pretty impressed.

Anyway, finished up at Koshys and by now my stomach was suffering from all of the currys I've been putting through it. All I wanted to do was have a little lie down so I went back to the apartment and had a bit of a relax and watched some telly. After a short time I got a call from Satish's brother in law, Narayna, inviting me over for tea. I agreed and Narayna came and picked me up on his motorcycle again.

I realised something while on the motorbike that if you get a cramp in your legs there isn't a lot to do about it

Anyway we arrived at Narayna's - met his wife and daughter and his niece. They were such a nice family, Narayna's wife served up dinner it was some currys with these puffed things. It was awesome. There was so much food and I was very full. There was also a home made sweet which was also great. Unfortunately the family don't speak much english so conversation was very limited, but it was a great experience as I hadn't yet witnessed an Indian family's style of living.

Narayna took me back to the apartment (in a car this time) and I got home at about 9pm. And that was pretty much my day.

No comments: